Mount Edgecombe Country Club, neatly tucked away in the rolling hills of KwaZulu-Natal North Coast, inland of Umhlanga Rocks, boasting two unique championship courses, designed around the natural lie and habitat of the land.
Ideally located for users both local and afar, Mount Edgecombe Country Club Estates has been acclaimed for many years as one of the premier golfing Estates in Southern Africa giving you an overwhelming sense of tranquility, safety and enchantment.
The Woods (Course One)
Originally known as the Huletts Country Club, and created by Sid Brews in 1936, the course was upgraded and modernised in 1992 by Hugh Baiocchi, and is one of the few courses in the country to meet the USGA specifications.
Mount Edgecombe Course One (now “The Woods”) is a parkland layout, and this extremely attractive golf course has hosted numerous amateur as well as professional tournaments and will therefore test any level of golfer. With four sets of tees, the course is playable by golfers of any handicap.
Designer: Sid Brews (1935), Hugh Baiocchi (1992)
Distance: Yellow 5885, White 5619, Blue 5226, Red 5040, Par 70
Character: Parkland layout with many exotic trees, formerly known as Huletts CC, until converted to a residential estate in the early 90s.
Signature holes: There are three special holes that constitute the course’s “Amen Corner” from the 14th to 16th. Holes 14 to 16 are where water hazards come into play. The first one is a par 5 with water guarding the green, followed by a par 3 across water, and a par 4 where a dam must be carried to reach the fairway. These 3 holes normally are the deciding holes in club championships.
The Lakes (Course Two)
An 18 hole course was developed along with additional facilities for the Natal Estates Limited staff. In 1946, a more substantial clubhouse was opened and membership extended to ‘town’ members. This was to mark a historical and trying period ranging from flood damage to a fire that reduced the magnificent clubhouse to a mass of rubble. From this heartbreaking ruin arose the highly acclaimed Mount Edgecombe Country Club.
Plans for the second course began in 1994. Daysen, De Villiers and Van der Merwe were commissioned to design the championship course directly south of the existing course on Estate 1. Course 2 (now “The Lakes”) was opened at the end of ’97 and is undulating and different from the estate’s No 1 course, with indigenous bush in places, and its share of imposing water hazards. This course has the Watershed restaurant overlooking the Pani Dam where fish eagles can be spotted.
The design philosophy adopted by the golf course architects was a course that is challenging, but fair – where a serious golfer could test his skills but an occasional golfer could enjoy the game.
Designer: Daysen, De Villiers and Van der Merwe (1994)
Distance: Yellow 6241, White 5811, Blue 5373, Red 4986, Par 72
Character: The topographical features include undulating hills with isolated indigenous bush, a stream running from East to West, the Pani Dam and two sensitive wetlands.
Signature holes: Two memorable holes are the eighth and ninth, running alongside the Pani Dam to complete the front nine. Water guards the left side of the holes, and indigenous bush the right, so make sure that you’re accurate from the tee.
In the area