The Royal Port Alfred Golf Club is one of four golf clubs in South Africa which have been granted the right to use the “Royal” prefix. The others are Royal Cape, Royal Durban and Royal Johannesburg & Kensington.
In the late 1890’s Dr WH Atherstone and a group of friends tried a game of golf over the east flats adjacent to the river and decided that a golf course would be a fine asset for the developing town. The Town Council declined the use of this ground but in 1906 agreed that some derelict erven in the undeveloped township of Saltvlei could be utilized for this purpose.
On 31 July 1907 a meeting was held in Dr Atherstone’s house and he and four others (W Stow, WH Vroom, GH Holloway and Dr CE Jones-Phillipson) agreed to donate £20.00 each to establish the club.
Dr Atherstone proceeded to lay out the first 9 holes with shell grit being used for the greens. The first AGM of the club was held at the Railway Hotel and Sir Walter Healy-Hutchison (The Governor of the Cape Colony) was elected President. The second President elected in 1910 was Leander Starr Jameson of Jameson raid notoriety! By April 1908 an additional nine holes h